Join us on November 30 for Women in Tech: A Symposium on Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
Despite evidence suggesting that diverse leadership teams can benefit workplace culture and the bottom line, female technologists and investors still often struggle to find support for their ideas.
This public half-day symposium will highlight the experience of women in the tech industry—from established companies to startups and the venture capital firms that support them. The event will also recognize those who have championed the advancement of women in technology through the Women in Tech Initiative Athena Awards. Attendees will come away with actionable suggestions for overcoming gender-based challenges and improving the workplace climate for all.
11:15 Registration & lunch
12:15 Keynote: Poornima Vijayashanker, Founder, Femgineer; Founding engineer, Mint.com
- Introduced by Betsy Cooper, Executive Director, Center for Long-Term Cybersecurity
12:45 Panel 1
Highlights successes that have contributed to positive momentum for women in technology startup companies and venture firms.
- Catherine Berman, Co-Founder and CEO, CNote
- Sue Carter, Professor, Physics Department, UC Santa Cruz
- Shayna Modaressi, Co-Founder & General Partner, Lodestar Ventures
- Laura Techlemariam, Lead Senior Product Manager, Electronic Arts
- Sophia Velastegui, Executive in Technology
- Caroline Winnett, Executive Director, SkyDeck (Moderator)
2:00 Break & facilitated conversation regarding workplace climate challenges
- Kara Sammet, Inclusion & Leadership Strategist, Gender Lenz
2:45 Panel 2
Explores the current state of research and presents innovative strategies for creating inclusive environments, promoting accountability, and reducing discrimination in the workplace.
- Jessica Ladd, Founder and CEO, Callisto
- Michelle Leahy, Senior Manager, Analytic Programs, AnitaB.org
- Nathalie Mathé, VR Creative Director and Founder, NativeVR
- Heather Metcalf, Director of Research & Analysis, Association for Women in Science
- Rebecca Stuart, Attorney, Employment Law Practice, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich Rosati
4:00 Keynote: Laura Kray, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
4:30 Women in Tech Initiative Athena Awards Presentations
5:15 Closing remarks
5:30 Networking reception
Learn more about the symposium: http://womenintech17.eventbrite.com/
Presented by the Women in Technology Initiative at the University of California, CITRIS and the Banatao Institute, UC Berkeley College of Engineering, and the Center for Long-term Cybersecurity.
Sponsored by Facebook, CITRIS Foundry, The Coleman Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership, UC Berkeley School of Information, Berkeley Center for New Media (BCNM), Haas Women in Leadership, Startup@BerkeleyLaw, SkyDeck, UC Berkeley Extension, The International Society of Service Innovation Professionals (ISSIP) and the UC Berkeley Bakar Fellows Program.
Additional sponsors to be announced. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.