October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM). Now in its 17th year, NCSAM continues to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity across our Nation, ensuring that all Americans have the resources they need to be safer and more secure online. This year’s theme is “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.” This theme encourages individuals and organizations to own their role in protecting their part of cyberspace, stressing personal accountability, and the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity.
As part of NCSAM, we want to share a Top 10 Cybersecurity Tips list created by the Women in Tech Initiative for the 2020 Women in Tech Symposium: Reimagining Cybersecurity for All. This list includes some of the most important practices an individual can take to protect themselves from cyber-attacks.
Top 10 Cybersecurity Tips
- Be cautious when using public WIFI networks and avoid using these networks as much as possible
- Beware of suspicious emails (don’t click!) and phone numbers (don’t answer!)
- Be mindful of the information you share on social media (only give minimum required information) and set your profiles to private
- Only provide personally identifiable information on trusted and secure websites
- Keep software up-to-date for your operating system and connected devices
- Enable two-factor authentication when available
- Use a password management program to help maintain strong unique passwords
- Protect sensitive data using encryption and a password-protected system
- Enable “find my device” software in case your device is stolen
- Back up your data regularly to protect yourself in case of a security breach or theft
The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) and the Banatao Institute drive interdisciplinary innovation for social good with faculty researchers and students from four University of California campuses – Berkeley, Davis, Merced, and Santa Cruz – along with public and private partners.
To learn more about CITRIS, sign up for our newsletter: bit.ly/SubscribeCITRIS