The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) and the Banatao Institute create information technology solutions for society’s most pressing challenges.
CITRIS and the Banatao Institute leverage the research strengths of University of California campuses at Berkeley, Davis, Merced and Santa Cruz, and operate within the greater ecosystem of the University and the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of Silicon Valley.
We help faculty and students develop new technologies that benefit society with a special focus on healthcare, robotics, energy, transportation, water, and policy. Our invention ecosystem includes the CITRIS Invention Lab, the CITRIS Foundry, and the CITRIS Tech for Social Good Program among other programs and labs. To learn more, visit https://citris-uc.org.
About the CITRIS Summer Internship Program
Are you a motivated UC Berkeley undergraduate or graduate student interested in communications and digital marketing? Come work with CITRIS this summer!
We’re seeking motivated, detail-oriented interns to join our communications efforts on a variety of marketing initiatives that support the organization’s mission. Internship positions will play an important role in projects including our website redesign, supporting the organization’s strategic plan, and preparing assets for the organization’s 20th anniversary. Interns will also create engaging materials and content about tech research, new technologies, student innovation and startups, and multi-campus activities.
The CITRIS communications team has many exciting programs and success stories to promote. Our audiences include UC faculty and researchers, undergraduate and graduate students, local and state legislators, corporate partners, and national media and tech press outlets.
CITRIS is a fast-paced environment with many opportunities to apply your web skills, learn new skills, build your portfolio, and make a positive impact. Ideally, we are looking for students who can grow with us for a minimum of two semesters and is available to begin working this summer. We request a minimum of 20 hours a week during the summer with an opportunity to continue in the fall semester as a Student Assistant.
This is a paid internship at a competitive hourly rate. Positions are supervised by the CITRIS Communications Manager and work with many other staff and students within CITRIS.
Organization: CITRIS (Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society) and the Banatao Institute
Location: Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley campus
Scope: Minimum of 20 hours a week during the summer (with an opportunity to continue into the Fall 2018 semester at reduced hours as a Student Assistant).
Compensation: This is a paid internship at a competitive hourly rate.
Benefits of Internship
- Grow portfolio in communications and digital marketing
- Gain experience in a multi-campus, multidisciplinary research institute environment
- Make a positive impact by supporting research that benefits society
- Take part in brainstorming sessions and pitch ideas
- Communications Student Assistant, Internship
Terms of Employment
- Interns are required to work a minimum of 20 hours/week and a maximum of 40 hours/week through the summer
- Employment may be extended through fall 2018 at reduced hours pending satisfactory job performance
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Content Creation: Draft and curate engaging content to highlight our news and programs
- Graphic Design: Produce visual assets for websites, email campaigns, print collateral, events, and slide presentations including logos, infographics, data visualization, and branding templates
- Social Media: Help develop and execute social media strategy to grow audiences on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Email Marketing: Produce email campaigns and surveys via MailChimp, audit mailing lists, and provide metrics reporting on campaigns
- Website and analytics: Assist with reporting on high-level, mission-critical performance data to improve our website(s)
- Multimedia Production: Assist with visual storytelling projects with guidance from our Multimedia Specialist
- Event Support: Assist team to execute CITRIS events as needed
- Participate in team brainstorming sessions and pitch ideas
- Currently enrolled in a BA, BS, or Masters program at UC Berkeley
- Skill with the Google Apps suite (ex: Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, etc)
- Experience writing or editing content for web, print, and social media
- Experience using social media tools (ex: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, HootSuite) to promote an event, program or organization
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and communicate updates on project status with team
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent listening, synthesis, and writing skills
- A strong visual sense of typography, layout, and color
- Thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Experience managing one or more social media accounts for an organization is a plus
- Interest in new marketing tools and trends is a plus
- Interest in trends and best practices for online communications is a plus
- Intermediate skill with Adobe Creative Suite (ex: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects)
- Skill with editing and troubleshooting basic HTML and CSS
- Skill with editing photography and/or video
- Experience managing one or more websites for an organization
- Experience with Google Analytics or other web performance tracking tools
- Experience with basic search engine optimization (SEO)
- Experience with UX principles and practices
- Experience with CRM database software such as Salesforce
Please submit the following as a single PDF document:
- Cover letter responding to the following questions:
- Why you are interested in this opportunity?
- Tell us about a recent communications project you worked on and what you learned
- Resume (no more than 2 pages)
- Work examples: portfolio or communications projects (online or included in PDF)
Submit by email to: email@example.com with subject line “CITRIS Summer Internship Program 2019”.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The CITRIS Communications Team