CITRIS Multimedia Specialist at UC Berkeley
Job Title: Multimedia Specialist (7449U), Job #19810
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Part-Time or Full-Time: Full-Time
Tip: Search for “19810” in job portal keyword search
Closing Date for this Position: 5/27/15
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff. Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
CITRIS is a four campus institute comprising the Berkeley, Davis, Santa Cruz, and Merced campuses of the University of California. In addition to the Colleges of Engineering on these campuses, numerous other academic departments (e.g., The Information School, the School of Architecture, Boalt School of Law, the Haas School of Business and many others) are involved in the research of the Institute. Berkeley is the lead campus for the institute and all operational, administrative, and financial matters for the Institute are provided or coordinated from that campus. This position will be based at the UC Berkeley campus with occasional travel to the other three campuses.
With support from industry and private gifts, the State of California has invested in the establishment of four Governor Gray Davis Institutes for Science and Innovation (GGDISI). As one of these institutes, the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) is university, government and private sector partnership charged with having, through its research in information technology, a highly visible, profound impact on the quality of life of the people, the growth of California based industry, and the improved effectiveness of many agencies of the State.
The Multimedia Specialist position is a new role within CITRIS, intended to demonstrate the institute’s systemwide impact in the University of California and beyond through the power of video and multimedia storytelling. The Multimedia Specialist is responsible for photo, video, and audio content that highlights the strengths and impact of CITRIS, the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society. This role will help modernize and expand the CITRIS communications toolbox, with a focus on highlighting success stories and attracting new resources into the CITRIS ‘invention ecosystem.’
*This is a one-year contract position. Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
50% Under direct supervision, produces videos that attract and engage funders, partners, faculty, students and other strategic audiences. Video themes may include CITRIS initiatives, facilities and labs, faculty research, funding proposals, entrepreneurship programs, and societal impact. Responsibilities include location scouting, storyboarding and shot selection, filming interviews and broll, editing, soundtrack, and final packaging for distribution. Works with communications team to meet production timelines ranging from several days to several months.
30% Assists with the development of a multimedia asset library to highlight CITRIS research, success stories, and impact. Provides high quality photo and video documentation of significant CITRIS events on a weekly basis to build the library. Organizes and processes raw media files. Creates branded watermarks and video graphics. Edits and packages select files as requested for use across the CITRIS website, executive presentations, reports and publications, marketing materials, newsletters, social media, and exhibits within the CITRIS Tech Museum.
10% Coordinates the production equipment and media file inventories within the CITRIS communications group. Maintains and recommends upgrades to portable video/photo production kits as needed. Coordinates an internal checkout system for cameras, tripods and accessories. Maintains and updates a shared archival system for multimedia files.
5% Provides media support for visiting journalists at CITRIS headquarters. Helps greet and orient multimedia production teams that are filming or photographing in Sutardja Dai Hall or adjacent facilities. Assists with location scouting, set-up, and onsite technical support as needed.
5% Participates in meetings with CITRIS staff and affiliates to discuss project concepts, production plans, and deliverable drafts.
- Strong written, verbal, visual, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, especially in digital file management and logistics coordination.
- Solid skills in storytelling, storyboarding and messaging for specific audiences.
- Solid skills in video production, including lighting, production sound and cinematography.
- Solid skills in video post-production, including editing, color grading and encoding.
- Solid skills in audio post-production, including dialog editing, mixing and mastering.
- Solid skills in digital photography, visual composition, and editing images for print and web use.
- Solid skills in multimedia production tools, including Adobe Photoshop, Premier, AfterEffects; Apple Final Cut Pro.
- Basic skills in integrating or creating motion graphics and animations.
- Ability to learn and apply the University of California, CITRIS, and individual campus brand guidelines.
- Ability to learn and apply best practices in multimedia communications, particularly for research, technical, entrepreneurship and higher education audiences.
- Ability to serve as an effective ambassador for CITRIS when interfacing with interviewees, event participants, visiting groups, media contacts, and the general public.
• Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
• Basic knowledge of the University of California system especially the four CITRIS campuses at UC Berkeley, Davis, Merced and Santa Cruz including the university’s vision, mission, goals, objectives and achievements. External candidates must have the ability to quickly grasp the complexities of a multi-campus, multi-disciplinary organization.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Log on to the UC Berkeley Jobs Portal and search for “19810” (Job Number) in the keyword search. Follow the instructions to apply for this position. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) and the Banatao Institute drive interdisciplinary innovation for social good with faculty researchers and students from four University of California campuses – Berkeley, Davis, Merced, and Santa Cruz – along with public and private partners.
To learn more about CITRIS, sign up for our newsletter: bit.ly/SubscribeCITRIS