Job Title: CITRIS Innovation & Entrepreneurship Manager (4330U)
Job ID: 19322
Location: UC Berkeley
The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) and the Banatao Institute is one of four visionary Institutes for Science & Innovation within the University of California. Established in 2001, the institute leverages the strengths of four UC campuses (Berkeley, Merced, Davis, Santa Cruz) to address large-scale societal problems through interdisciplinary research and new market applications. For 20 years, CITRIS has advanced technology for the public good in areas including renewable energy, water management, sustainable transportation, robotics, artificial intelligence and digital healthcare. To achieve its mission, CITRIS provides an “innovation pipeline” with an array of resources for faculty and student researchers. This robust pipeline includes laboratories, testbeds, makerspaces, seed funding, an industrial partnership program, and signature programs to promote information technology in the interest of society.
The institute’s innovation programs, including the CITRIS Foundry, provide valuable educational and entrepreneurial offerings for UC-affiliated students, faculty, alumni, campus groups and external partners. Related programs are growing in scope and complexity across the UC system, resulting in an increased need for coordination among external and internal stakeholders. A support gap remains for innovators who are addressing critical challenges in the world through a science- and research-informed approach. Spearheaded by CITRIS, the University of California is ideally positioned to help the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs bridge this gap and bring rigorous, validated solutions to market.
The CITRIS Innovation & Entrepreneurship (I&E) Manager is responsible for core administrative functions of this mid-size, multi-campus program. The I&E Manager applies organizational best practices, interpersonal skills and knowledge of entrepreneurship to achieve growth and performance goals for the CITRIS Foundry. Under the guidance of the CITRIS Foundry Director, the I&E Manager administers major strategic components and plays a pivotal role in day-to-day program operations — including resource coordination, budget planning, facilities access, event production, curriculum development, and network cultivation. In collaboration with the CITRIS Knowledge Management Director, the incumbent will support data collection, impact assessment and asset mapping for innovation and entrepreneurship activities across the four CITRIS campuses. This position plays a lead role in process development, operationalization and execution of complex program evaluation needs.
Application Review Date
First Review Date: 6/17/21
50% Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program Management:
Plans and implements a range of administrative functions for the CITRIS Foundry program spanning multiple UC campuses. In partnership with the CITRIS Foundry Director, the I&E Manager ensures effective operations and implementation of CITRIS Foundry’s strategic plan through relationship building, resource coordination, budgeting, facilities access, marketing, event production, curriculum development and program evaluation responsibilities. Improves core processes with a focus on application cycles, program delivery and participant graduation.
20% Impact Assessment:
Works with CITRIS leadership to refine and evaluate impact metrics for innovation and entrepreneurship efforts across the CITRIS campuses. In collaboration with the CITRIS Director of Knowledge Management, the I&E Manager collects, analyzes and translates data into reports and dashboards to gauge the effectiveness of current activities. Recommends changes to strategies, policies and procedures accordingly.
15% Strategic Planning and Business Model:
Works with program leadership and CITRIS development staff to identify and pursue funding opportunities and revenue streams that are aligned with the CITRIS mission and multi-campus structure. Participates in program budgeting and forecasting to support short- and long-term strategic plans.
15% Innovation Network Engagement:
Cultivates and deepens strategic internal relationships across the CITRIS campuses in order to support UC-affiliated innovators. Develops and leverages a map of innovation assets, resources and pathways at the CITRIS campuses. Represents CITRIS’s innovation and entrepreneurship programs through meetings and events with internal, UC-based stakeholders at our partner locations. Emphasizes engagement strategies that support innovators from diverse backgrounds and disciplines.
This is a one-year contract position
- Strong knowledge of administrative, operations, budgetary, financial and data management principles and best practices.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with ability to effectively engage individuals and present to large groups.
- Strong ability to think creatively and independently on concepts requiring advanced analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work with and motivate people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with internal and external peers and leaders across multiple locations.
- Familiarity with principles and best practices for program evaluation, key performance indicators (KPIs), data collection and interpretation, and impact assessment.
- Academic background or professional experience in entrepreneurship, technology commercialization and/or social innovation, ideally in context of early-stage companies or social impact ventures.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area or equivalent work experience.
- Thorough knowledge of innovation and entrepreneurship fundamentals including customer discovery, market research, product development and venture fundraising pathways.
- Prior experience with people-centric operations such as managing a portfolio of program participants, building a strong community, or providing coaching and mentorship.
- Prior experience founding or working in a startup venture.
- Advanced degree in Business Administration, Technology Entrepreneurship, Innovation Engineering or equivalent years of work experience.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
- This is a one-year contract position. Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
- The salary range designated for this position: $95,000 – $105,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: