CITRIS Postdoctoral Scholar, Health Initiative, UC Berkeley College of Engineering
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Part-Time or Full-Time: Full-Time
First Review Date for this Position: 04/13/18
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
CITRIS and the Banatao Institute (CITRIS) is recruiting for a postdoctoral position in health technology (CITRIS Health). The successful candidate will be engaged in translational research and technology development projects, including advanced health technology research, digital health incubation, health and technology industry collaboration, and advances in aging technologies for special populations (Healthy Aging in a Digital World). This position offers an opportunity to engage in cutting edge research, education, and technology innovation in a multidisciplinary, problem-based learning ecosystem. It further provides an opportunity to engage in public and private sector initiatives both domestically and globally.
This is a full time one-year position with the possibility of being extended a second year. Anticipated start date is April 1, 2018.
The candidate will gain significant experience and be able to develop a personal digital health research and innovation portfolio through work in the following program areas and initiatives. Primary focus areas include but are not limited to:
1) Support for development of innovative digital health research by CITRIS Health researchers and collaborators
• Working with CITRIS Health researchers and collaborators to initiate and engage in innovative interdisciplinary technology research
• Supporting the implementation of the innovative CITRIS Seed Grant Program
• Collaborating on government, industry and philanthropic research and training proposals
2) Support the development of the Healthy Aging in a Digital World initiative
• Supporting CITRIS student, faculty and industry project development in tech and aging
• Conducting grant and development activities for technologies and research addressing the needs of older adults (e.g., chronic disease management, family caregiving, independence and wellness)
• Opportunity to develop, implement and direct technology-enabled aging research in collaboration with private and public researchers, technologists and health care providers
3) Support the development of CITRIS digital health start-ups and innovation ecosystem.
• Participating in the review, design, development, implementation and sustainability of the CITRIS Health Incubator/accelerator
• Supporting and fostering digital health start-ups in collaboration with the Foundry (i.e., CITRIS incubator/accelerator), including development of strategic alliances, business development, and start-up support.
4) Support the development of new domestic and international digital health research thrusts and training programs
• Support and expand CITRIS domestic digital health innovation initiatives and research initiatives: e.g., PERCEPT EHR/behavioral health initiatives
• Support and expand CITRIS international health innovation and research initiatives: e.g., Transatlantic Telehealth Research Network (TTRN – Denmark), Guizhou Berkeley Bid Data Innovation Center (GBIC – China), Philippine California Applied Research Initiative (PCARI – Philippines), etc.
5) Support the development of Corporate partnerships for CITRIS Health/UC Davis Health
• Identify and engage new corporate partnerships for CITRIS in the area of digital health
• Engage and support existing corporate partners for CITRIS in related health technology verticals
• Support the development of strategic business alliances and external funding sources from industry
6) Develop and manage CITRIS Health Conferences/Dissemination
• Design, implement and manage digital health meetings with CITRIS experts and leading national and global thought leaders (in coordination with CITRIS event planning team)
• Support external communication efforts and dissemination for CITRIS Health initiatives
• Prepare peer review and professional articles for publication and dissemination
The position requires local travel between Berkeley and Sacramento, California, with opportunities for travel to professional meetings. International travel is possible based on project engagement.
Basic Qualifications: At time of application
• PhD or equivalent degree
Additional Qualifications: By start date
• Experience in digital health, e.g., AI and machine learning, telehealth, mHealth/cloud, robotics, sensors, informatics, digital health policy, or related field.
• Knowledge of digital health innovation, health care delivery, behavioral health, health policy or related knowledge area preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on UC Berkeley salary scales.
To apply go to https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01667
Please direct all questions for this position to Please direct all questions for this position to Karen Stierwalt, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job will remain open until filled
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated CV
Letters of reference may be requested of finalists. 3 references required (contact information only)
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California Policy and California State law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality: (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
We are interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their research.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
How to Apply
1. Create an ApplicantID
2. Provide required information and documents
3. If any, provide required reference information
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01667.