During Fall 2020, the CITRIS Invention Lab will be operating in a job shop model for student, staff, and research support while the UC Berkeley campus is closed to our larger community.
The SnapFab service is open to all UC Berkeley campus members. An active CalNet ID and CalCentral account are required – all personal purchases will be billed to CalCentral accounts. Research support print requests and services can be paid with a Chartstring – please inquire about research support before submitting a request.
To submit a SnapFab request – you will first need a CITRIS Invention Lab Store account. For this, you will need to provide an email address, CalNet ID, shipping address, and phone number. Please contact the CITRIS Invention Lab to set up an account and receive a store invite to activate.
After we’ve set up your CITRIS Invention Lab store account, you can purchase a service and then request a SnapFab service (you will be required to provide your CITRIS Invention Lab store order number in the request).
At this time we are limiting our services and pricing to:
Ultimaker Print – $20 material included for standard size same day printing (long prints with large amounts of materials may include a material fee) We can print in Black, White or Grey PLA.
Form2 print – $40 in clear resin, service includes standard / recommended wash and cure times. Support material will not be removed by staff. Large prints may include material fees
Form3 print – $45 in clear resin, service includes standard / recommended wash and cure times. Support will not be removed by staff. Large prints may include material fees
Form3B print – $55 in surgical guide resin. This is a biocompatible material. Service includes recommended wash and cure times. Large prints may include material fees
- Other Form resins may be available, but would include a materials fee; all non stocked resins would require fees including resin (from $199 – $349) and resin tanks ($149 for form3s and $59 – $99 for form2s). There will be a up to a month delay for ordering materials through our lab.
Laser Cutting – Laser cut jobs are priced by size and include materials (Acrylic or Plywood). Cut files should fit in these sizes otherwise your job will be rejected and you will be asked to purchase the next size up.
- ⅛”X6”X6” – $5.00
- ⅛”X12”X12” – $10
- ⅛”X12X24 – $20
Laser Cutting documents will need to be provided as .ai files (legacy
File set up for SnapFab Submission:
More detailed instructions/training are available through B-Courses (CalNet login required)
- Files should be sent in as a .stl file, staff will set up the file for the best results.
- Cura G-codes or UPF (Ultimaker print files) can be sent in with the STL if print if a special set up is required. G-codes can be printed on any machine – UPF files can be printed only on our S5 or Ultimaker 3s (Warning: staff will not be able to check UPF files in Cura prior to printing).
Form2, Form3 or Form3B:
- Files should be sent as a .stl file if you’d like staff to set up the print file.
- Special requirements will be considered, most prints will be set up for the best results from the printer.
- Please save as to a legacy Illustrator format our laser cutters run an older version of illustrator and will not open properly using a 2020 version of an .ai file
- Design to be cut must fit into the purchased piece of material.
- Please make your artboard in Illustrator to the size of the material you will be purchasing.
Please import all DWG or DFX file formats into Illustrator.
Setting up your cut file
- Create a new RGB document in Illustrator (Use new > web document to ensure that you are using an RGB palette)
- Cut files use .001 or .007 stroke width for cutting (RGB Red) or Engraving (RGB Blue)
- Use RGB Black as a fill for etching
- Convert any images to grayscale save as .jpgs (the image most likely will need some contrast correction in photoshop – extreme contrast – strong black and white with little grayscale etches best)