As health care becomes increasingly complex, there is an urgent need for innovation at the intersection of biosciences and integrated digital technologies. The growing importance of Health IT has demonstrated the opportunity provided by digital platforms for providing continuity of information, lower costs and an enhanced level of care. We believe the emergence of new startups that operate at this unique interface is critical to the future of effective health care delivery. However, these companies require a diverse set of resources that are not individually available at typical biotech, hardware or software incubators. To address this need, The Foundry@CITRIS and QB3@953 are teaming up to offer the Biotech Challenge as part of The Foundry’s 2014 call for applications. Teams accepted to this challenge will be able to leverage the wide breadth of resources, mentors and communities from both incubator programs.
- 6 month incubator program + 6 month continuation option
- Teams are jointly members of The Foundry@CITRIS and QB3@953 incubators
- Access to The Foundry program including all resources, space and mentorship
- Acceptance into the QB3 Startup-in-the-box program and access to the QB3@953 shared space, mentors and entrepreneur community. Wetlab benches are available for rent based on the team’s needs.
- Teams also have access to the Downtown Berkeley Skydeck incubator space and startup community.
- Each team receives the standard $5000 prize from The Foundry
- Teams working on health-related technologies that combine traditional life science with integrated digital technologies (software, hardware and/or services)
- Preference for innovative technologies or solutions with the potential to make a significant impact
- Teams must be composed of students, faculty members, staff or alumnus less than three years graduated
- At least one member must be affiliated with any of the CITRIS or QB3 campuses (UC Berkeley, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Davis or Merced)
- Teams must apply to The Foundry and select the “QB3 Biotech Challenge”. Teams are first evaluated for acceptance into The Foundry, and then chosen for the challenge.