Welcome to the CITRIS headquarters at Sutardja Dai Hall, home of the Banatao Institute @ CITRIS Berkeley. Approximately 141,000 square feet of space houses laboratories for collaborative research, offices, a 149-seat auditorium, conference rooms on every floor, state-of-the-art classrooms, and walkways that connect with the surrounding buildings. Sutardja Dai Hall was constructed using concrete with a high volume of coal fly ash, which releases significantly less C02 into the atmosphere than the standard Portland cement.
Located on the Northeast corner of campus, between Cory Hall and the Naval Architecture Building, the CITRIS Headquarters building is seven stories of textured board form with light metal lines, which complement the campus buildings around it. Designed as a hub for scientists and researchers from different disciplines, floors four through seven are for research, mixed with collaborative spaces to promote interaction between the 50 CITRIS faculty affiliates, hundreds of students, and the administrative staff for CITRIS. UC Berkeley Capital Projects, SmithGroup, and Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction are the project teams that call this building their home.
The Banatao Auditorium (310 Sutardja Dai Hall) is located on the main floor (3rd floor) near the main entrance to the building coming from Hearst Ave.
For more info on visiting CITRIS, go to our Visitor Information page
DRIVING DIRECTIONS & PARKING
- Driving Directions & Public Parking Map (2-page PDF)
- Campus Permit Parking Map (PDF)
- Public Parking Structures
- Sutardja Dai Hall on the UC Berkeley map
For more info including Airport Shuttles, Taxi Service, and Hotel Accomodations, please view our Visitor Information page.
BART: Downtown Berkeley is the nearest BART station.
Bus: AC Transit currently charges $2.10 for one-way fare
- 65 Line: Runs every 30 minutes until ~8pm. Board the 65 at the NE corner of Shattuck Ave. and Center St. (towards Centennial Drive and the Lawrence Hall of Science). Disembark on SW corner of Euclid Ave. and Hearst Ave/ (approx. a 2-minute ride)
- F line: Runs every 20 minutes until ~1am. Board the F at Hearst Ave. and Shattuck Ave. (towards Bancroft Way and Telegraph Ave). Disembark at Euclid Ave. and Hearst Ave. (approx a 2-minute ride)
- 52 Line: Runs every 30 minutes until ~12am. Board the 52 at the NW corner of University Ave. and Shattuck Ave. (towards Bancroft Way and Telegraph Ave.) Disembark at Euclid Ave. and Hearst Ave. (approx 3-minute ride)
Taxi: A taxi stand is adjacent to the Downtown Berkeley BART station. Fares should run ~$5-$10.
Near Downtown Berkeley BART – 1) BART offers free valet bike parking Mon-Fri 7am-9pm 2) 24-hour self-park station costs 3 cents/hour.
On campus – There are several bike racks close to the SDH building.
- Bicycle parking on campus
- Campus guide to biking through UC Berkeley
- Campus bicycle rack location map
- Secure bicycle parking location map
CAMPUS SHUTTLE SYSTEM – BearTransit
BearTransit is UC Berkeley’s Shuttle system that services the campus as well as Downtown Berkeley BART, parking lots, Clark Kerr Campus, and the Hill area. Day-time shuttle runs from 7:30am-7:30pm. The shuttle is free for Berkeley affiliates with a Cal ID, and $1 for everyone else.
P line (perimeter of campus): Runs every 15 minutes and services Downtown Berkeley BART. The nearest stop to SDH is at Euclid Ave. and Hearst Ave. Shuttle only runs in 1 direction, the trip to SDH from BART is significantly shorter that the trip from SDH to BART.AC Transit may be the better option if time is limited.
NIGHTIME SAFETY SHUTTLE
BearTransit offers a free nighttime shuttle from 7:45pm-2am.
North Side Shuttle: Runs from BART and around campus. The nearest stop to SDH is at Hearst ave. and LeRoy Ave (1 block east of Euclid Ave).
Notify any BearTransit shuttle driver and they will dispatch a transport van within 15 minutes of your request.