Designated Emphasis in Computational and Data Science and Engineering
DE-CDSE Application: http://citris-uc.org/decse-application/
List of DE-CDSE faculty members: http://citris-uc.org/decse-faculty/
List of approved category courses: http://citris-uc.org/decse-student-checklist/
The Basic CDSE Philosophy
The core thesis of the DE-CDSE program is that students need training in numerical analysis, scientific computation, and an application area. The DE-CDSE approach is as follows:
- It operates under the assumption that there is a large, diverse, set of students who are interested in CDSE, but that it may not be their primary core area of study.
- It targets students who may be interested in large-scale data analysis, not just simulation.
The DE-CDSE is designed for all these students and is open only to students who are already enrolled in a Ph.D. program at UC Berkeley. Essentially, Berkeley’s DE-CDSE program is meant to build on the student’s graduate expertise in a particular field and augment it with a focused addition on computational science.
The basic requirements of the DE-CDSE are as follows:
- Students must have training in the following three CDSE components (all three courses must be taken for a grade):
- 1 graduate course in applied math/numerical analysis or statistics/data analysis (Category 1)
- 1 graduate course in high performance computing (Category 2)
- 1 graduate course in an application area that utilizes the above tools in a significant way (Category 3)
- Students must have a DE-CDSE component in their qualifying exam, with a DE-CDSE faculty member on the exam committee.
- All three category components must be taken before the qualifying exam.
- Students must petition to add the DE-CDSE before taking their qualifying exam.
- At least one member of the DE-CDSE faculty be on the dissertation committee.
Applicants for the DE-CDSE program are required to submit the following:
- Online application: http://citris-uc.org/decse-application/.
- With this form, the student must specify their proposed area of CDSE study and list which 3 courses (please see http://citris-uc.org/decse-student-checklist/) they will take to fulfill the requirements.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Transcripts (most recent copy of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts)
- Letter of Recommendation from their advisor
- One-page statement about why they are applying to the program
- The prospective student’s Current Graduate Advisor must Initiate and Approve the “Graduate Petition for Change of Major or Degree Goal” Form electronically (eform) in calcentral.berkeley.edu, instructions for Initiating and Approving the form can be found by clicking the links below:
- How to initiate an eform: https://sis.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/cpp_grad_ja.pdf
- How to evaluate an eform: https://sis.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/evaluate_an_acad_plan_cpp_eform_1.pdf