Facilities Home | Safety and Access | Lighting Control System | Custodial Services | Building Rules | Other Building Features and Info | Sustainability | Dynamic Space Allocation Survey | Building Access Request Form
The buildings on the Berkeley campus are for appropriate use and enjoyment by students, faculty, staff and visitors. The following policies have been established to promote the safety and security of all occupants and visitors:
- Follow all posted building rules that restrict use or access.
- Duplicating or distributing keys or card keys without authorization is a violation of the Campus Access Control Policy and is punishable under section 469 of the California Penal Code.
- Assisting unauthorized access to buildings or propping open exterior doors in violation of building security policies is a violation of the Campus Access Control Policy.
- Lodging overnight except in residential facilities or for academic purposes is prohibited.
- Adhere to all campus fire safety rules including prompt and orderly evacuation in case of alarm. Read the campus fire alarm instructions for more information. Intentionally initiating a false fire alarm is a violation of California Penal Code Section 148.4a punishable by a $1,000 fine or one year jail sentence.
- Disrupting classroom, administrative, or other University-sponsored or approved activities can result in citations by UCPD, enforcement from the Student Conduct Office, and/or expulsion from the campus.
- Smoking in buildings (except for private residences) is prohibited by campus policy. When smoking outside, policy requires that smokers stay at least 20 feet from building entrances and windows to minimize secondhand smoke exposure to occupants.
- Riding mopeds, bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, or skates is prohibited in buildings or on walkways where hazards could be created by their use. In accordance with fire marshal policy, vehicles may not be stored in any public spaces, hallways, corridors or stairwells, or attached to railings. Bicycles are not allowed inside the building except in specially designated areas.
- Animals (except laboratory animals, animals assisting disabled persons, or as otherwise specifically authorized by departments or Building Managers) are not to be brought into buildings.
- Use of campus or departmental bulletin boards must be authorized by the department or by the building coordinator or manager.
- Tampering, misuse, abuse, or destruction of emergency equipment or other University property is a violation of Penal Code Sections 148.4 and 594(b).