About CITRIS Core Seed Funding Opportunities
CITRIS and the Banatao Institute create information technology solutions for society’s most pressing challenges. Established in 2001, the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS) leverages the interdisciplinary research strengths of multiple UC campuses to advance the University of California’s mission and the innovative spirit of California. The institute was created to shorten the pipeline between world-class laboratory research and the development of cutting-edge applications, platforms, companies, and even new industries.
We invite Principal Investigators at UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Davis Health, UC Merced, and UC Santa Cruz to apply for seed funding that furthers CITRIS and the Banatao Institute research initiatives, strengthens connections among UC campuses, and catalyzes early-stage research that can lead to external funding.
Funded projects have attracted follow-on support from federal, state, industrial, and private sources including the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, Intel, Microsoft, Mellon Foundation, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
2018 CITRIS Core Seed Funding: Request for Proposals
View the full 2018 Seed Funding RFP including detailed areas of interest and a checklist of information needed to complete the online proposal process:
|2018 Core CITRIS Seed Funding|
|Area(s) of Interest||Connected Communities
People and Robots
|Project Amount||Up to $60,000|
|Requirements||At least 2 PIs.
Each from a different CITRIS campus.
|Application Deadline||January 26, 2018 at 5:00pm PST
- October 12, 2017: Call for 2018 CITRIS Core Seed Funding proposals announced online. CITRIS newsletter and seed funding interest list subscribers will receive the RFP information by email.
- October/November 2017: Each CITRIS campus will host an information session for potential applicants. Dates and details will be posted below and emailed to CITRIS newsletter subscribers.
- October 2017–January 2018: Matchmaking and multi-campus team formation occurs among Principal Investigators. Contact us at email@example.com for assistance with finding compatible co-PIs.
- November 30, 2017: Online application portal opens for submissions.
- January 26, 2018 at 5:00pm PST: Applications deadline (now passed)
- March 1, 2018: Applicants who received a Seed Fund Award in 2017 must submit a preliminary report on findings and results in order to be considered for a Seed Fund Award in 2018.
- Mid-March 2018: Awardees are notified.
- April 1, 2018: Performance period begins for 2018 Seed Funded projects.
- June 30, 2018: Final reports for 2017 Seed Funded projects are due.
Past Awards and Funded Projects
- 2018 Seed Fund Awards
- 2017 Seed Fund Awards ( PDF Version)
- 2016 Seed Fund Awards ( PDF Version)
- 2015 Seed Fund Awards ( PDF Version)
- 2014 Seed Fund Awards
- 2012 Seed Fund Awards
- 2011 Seed Fund Awards
- 2010 Seed Fund Awards
- 2007 Seed Fund Awards
- CITRIS Seed Funding may not be used for faculty salary or non-resident tuition.
- Principal Investigator may participate in no more than two proposals per application cycle and serve as lead researcher on no more than one proposal per application cycle.
- Principal Investigators who have previously received seed funding must submit an online status report for the previous project(s) before being considered for a new CITRIS Seed Fund Award.
- Feasibility: Can the stated goals be achieved within 12-18 months?
- Creates solution to a societal challenge: Is the societal problem and its scale clearly identified? Will the proposed project help to address this challenge?
- Potential for follow-on funding: Has this area of research been identified by federal agencies or other funders as an area of future investment? Will the CITRIS Seed Fund Award help the investigators make a stronger case for future external funding?
- Alignment with CITRIS research initiatives and the charter of the Banatao Institute: Does the proposal further one or more of the CITRIS interest areas described below? Proposals are also invited that further the goals of the newly chartered Banatao Institute at CITRIS, which leverages University of California expertise and IT solutions for the benefit of developing regions in the U.S. and abroad.
- Use of CITRIS and the Banatao Institute research assets including the Marvell NanoLab, CITRIS Invention Lab, or other CITRIS-affiliated testbeds is encouraged but not required.
- Inclusion of pre-tenured faculty is encouraged but not required.
The CITRIS Seed Funding Program is designed to support innovative, early-stage collaborative projects that can attract larger-scale support from federal, state, industrial, and/or private funding sources.
Resources for Applicants and Awardees
- 2018 Core Seed Funding RFP (PDF)
- 2018 Core Seed Funding RFP Overview Presentation (PDF)
- Seed Funding FAQ
- CITRIS Researchers directory
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for matchmaking assistance to find potential co-PIs in your topics of interest
Benefits of CITRIS and the Banatao Institute Principal Investigator status
- Successful Seed Funding applicants will receive CITRIS Principal Investigator status. Our staff will contact new awardees for a biography to include in the CITRIS Researchers online community and will provide information about other PI benefits. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
How to acknowledge CITRIS and the Banatao Institute Seed Funding
- A unique CITRIS and the Banatao Institute Seed Fund award number is issued to PIs for use in reporting, publication tracking, and follow-on proposals.
- Acknowledgement statement: “This research was supported by a Seed Fund Award [CITRIS-Year-Award#] from CITRIS and the Banatao Institute at the University of California.”
- Please note that we have a new name and logo, effective September 1, 2017. Download current CITRIS and the Banatao Institute logos for poster, presentation, print, and online use.
How to submit a Seed Funding Status Update / Final Report Form
- Complete the Seed Funding Status Update / Final Report Form
How to submit a No-Cost Extension
- Complete the No-Cost Extension Form
Point of contact for CITRIS Seed Funding
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or assistance.