Since its inception in 2001, CITRIS has been fueled by collaboration among four University of California campuses, the private sector, and international partners. These complementary relationships benefit the University, industry, and the public through the development of new knowledge, new applications—and even the birth of new industries.
Through CITRIS, University of California faculty and students from more than 100 academic disciplines work with industrial and institutional researchers to identify major societal challenges, then develop novel technology-based solutions to address them. Through close ties to industry, these innovations are refined, adopted, and commercialized in California and beyond. As evidence of this creative drive, more than 60 startup ventures have been supported by CITRIS to date.
By engaging with external collaborators, our faculty and students gain the opportunity to see firsthand where technological needs and markets are headed and can steer their work in these directions. Students are often eager to work at the cutting edge of commercially-applicable research.
In turn, industrial and institutional partners gain access to leading-edge research at one of the top public university systems in the world, along with the ability to recruit outstanding students and place visiting fellows or entrepreneurs in CITRIS-affiliated research labs.
The CITRIS Membership Program provides:
- An ecosystem for pre-competitive, high-impact research and open innovation
- Exposure to compelling new technology and service business ideas
- State-of-the-art facilities and testbeds for advanced collaborative research projects
- Access to world-class faculty and students for effective knowledge and technology transfer
- Facilitation to leverage funding and collaborative arrangements among universities, industry, and government
- A CITRIS Affiliate program focused on student access and engagement while exploring deeper research synergies
- A CITRIS Partner program designed for active research collaboration, visiting fellows, and Advisory Council participation
CITRIS Affiliate Benefits
Our Affiliate program focuses on student access and engagement while exploring deeper research synergies across the CITRIS campuses.
- CITRIS overview for your executive team
CITRIS directors will provide an orientation to our programs, activities, and resources during the annual membership meeting on CITRIS Day.
- Exclusive networking events and CITRIS research insights
We curate events and insights that will be of interest to our members, including professional networking opportunities in an exclusive environment and research highlights delivered to your inbox.
- UC Berkeley, Davis, Merced and Santa Cruz campus connections
As a multi-campus institute, CITRIS maintains strong networks throughout UC Berkeley, Davis, Merced, and Santa Cruz. Each campus offers specialized assets including research programs, student activities, public events, laboratories, testbeds, and more. CITRIS guides Affiliate members to understand and gain access to this wealth of resources.
- Access to student groups via sponsored events and information sessions
CITRIS provides space on campus to host information sessions where CITRIS Affiliate companies can interact directly with students for recruitment. Affiliate companies can further enhance their university profile by sponsoring student-focused CITRIS events.
- Logo recognition on CITRIS website and promotional channels
The company logo will be displayed prominently on the CITRIS website and highlighted in CITRIS publications such as the annual report and CITRIS Signal newsletter. Members are also recognized at CITRIS Day, our annual outreach event.
- Opportunity to sponsor CITRIS events
CITRIS has a long tradition of producing flagship events including the Research Exchange Seminar Series, Resilience Seminar Series, the Mobile App Challenge, technology hackathons, and public symposia. CITRIS Affiliates have the first opportunity to sponsor events that are relevant to the organization’s goals, and we help determine the sponsorship package that best fits your target audience and aims.
- Opportunity for tailored workshops to explore research synergies
For Affiliate members wanting to explore deeper collaboration with the CITRIS ecosystem, we organize targeted workshops with relevant researchers in order to guide this process. These facilitated sessions cost $10,000 per workshop and are available only to CITRIS Affiliates and Partners.
CITRIS Partner Benefits
Our Partner program is designed around active research collaboration, facilitated access to laboratories and testbeds, and participation in our future-looking Advisory Councils. Partnerships are customized to ensure mutual benefit and include all of the Affiliate Benefits above, plus:
- Tailored workshops to explore research synergies
- Targeted support for student researchers and/or seed-funded projects
- On-site collaboration via Visiting Fellow or Visiting Entrepreneur Program
- Seat on relevant Scientific Advisory Boards
- Seat on the CITRIS Industrial Advisory Council
- Opportunity to access relevant labs and test beds
Please contact us to discuss a tailored package of Partner-level benefits that meet your research and innovation objectives.
To discuss CITRIS Partner and CITRIS Affiliate opportunities, please connect with:
Dr. Pushkar Apte
Director of Strategic Initiatives, CITRIS and the Banatao Institute
University of California, Berkeley
356F Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Current CITRIS and the Banatao Institute Members
Our membership team is available to assist you at email@example.com.