To foster the next generation of energy & climate related startups emerging from the Berkeley ecosystem, The Foundry@CITRIS and the Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute (BECI) have partnered to create the BECI Energy Challenge @ The Foundry. The BECI Energy Challenge will provide the resources and mentorship required to translate promising research technologies into companies. Winners of the BECI Energy Challenge will have access to the full range of benefits offered by The Foundry as well as additional support from BECI. Since development of energy technology is resource intensive, winners of the BECI Energy Challenge will receive an additional $5,000 for a total prize of $10,000.
- 6 month incubator program + 6 month extension option
- Membership to The Foundry program including all resources, space and mentorship
- Access to all Foundry workspaces, including collaborative office and studio spaces in Sutardja Dai Hall and the Downtown Berkeley Skydeck facility
- Full membership to the Invention Lab for building and testing prototypes
- Regular mentor events and educational seminars
- Connections to energy-specific mentors and investors through BECI
- Each startup receives an additional $5,000 for a total of $10,000 in seed funding from BECI
- Teams working on energy and/or climate-related technologies that include integrated digital technologies (software, hardware and/or services)
- Preference for innovative technologies or solutions with the potential to make a significant impact
- Startups must have at least one team member that is a student, faculty, staff or alumni less than three years graduated from any of the CITRIS campuses (UC Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Davis or Merced)
- Startups must apply to The Foundry through the standard application process and select the “BECI Energy & Climate Challenge” option. Applicants are first evaluated for acceptance into The Foundry, and then separately chosen for the challenge.